a
Well, you know - life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get. And you just found yourself a treasure. Come and join us for a course at the School of Bhakti and grab your free cookies and tea. What a way to illuminate your journey!
Don’t miss anything. Follow Us.

Ask questions, discuss, and get wiser

Welcome to the School of Bhakti Community!

Create an account, set your password, and you're good to go! The more you interact and discuss, your rating goes up - see if you can elevate yourself to an 'Illustrious member'!

Notifications
Clear all

Bhagavatam and the POWER of the Holy Name  

RSS
Thirumagal
Active Member Explorer

Bhagavatam is full of narrations and descriptions.  It guides us through this material world.  Srila Prabhupada said, “Srimad Bhagavatam is the summit of all knowledge.”  I am particularly drawn to the Ajamila story, which I would like share.  Here we go …

Ajamila was born in a brahmana family and in his early years he led a very pious life.  Somehow or other, his life changed when he met a prostitute in the forest. Material nature is so strong. Due to his sense gratification, Ajamila got married to that prostitute and lived a very sinful life.  He had ten children and his youngest child’s name was ‘Narayana’. When it was time for him to leave his body, the yamadutas came ….. Out of fear, Ajamila called out of affection for his youngest son “Narayana.” As soon as he called out for Narayana, the Vishnudutas came. It is said in the Srimad Bhagavatam 6.2.14, ‘One who chants the holy name of the Lord is immediately freed from the reactions of unlimited sins, even if he chants indirectly, jokingly, for musical entertainment, or even neglectfully. This is accepted by all the learned scholars of the scriptures.’  When Ajamila heard the conversations between the Yamadutas and Vishnudutas, he was enlightened by their words, and was given a second chance.  He came to his reality, and realised his mistake. He then went to Haridwar. Spiritually absorbed and at the end of his life the Vishnudutas came to take him to the Spiritual world.

From this pastime, Krishna is teaching us the power of the holy name, the importance of remembering Krishna at the time of death and to never forget Him. In addition,, Krishna says in the Bhagavad Gita 8.5, “And whoever, at the end of his life, quits his body remembering Me alone at once attains My nature. Of this there is no doubt.”

So, what will happen, if a person chants Krishna’s name or the Lord’s name with so much faith, love and devotion? Chanting the holy names of the Lord is practiced through all bygone ages by greatly saintly personalities and sages through-out the whole universe. In Kaliyuga, the only way to purify and perfect oneself is to chant the holy name of the Lord,  Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare.

Srila Prabhupada says in his purport (SB 4.22.23), ‘by serving both the spiritual master and Krsna, he gets the seed of devotional service (bhakti-lata-bija) and if he sows the seed within his heart and waters it by hearing and chanting, it grows into a luxuriant bhakti-lata or bhakti creeper.’  Somehow or other we are living in this material world which is full of miseries – duhkhalayam, but we need to live in this world.  So, my realisation is, chanting the holy names and hearing Srimad Bhagavatam regularly in the association of devotees is the only remedy which will give solace. In this way, I hope and pray that I can grow my bhakti creeper and one day that I can serve the Lord and His devotee’s lotus feet in purity.

Now the question may arise, what if I forget to remember Krishna at the time of death? No worries, in Sri Isopanisad, it says, “Even at the time of death, a devotee does not remember the Lord, the Lord does not forget his devotee’s sacrifices, prayers and services rendered to Him.”

Krishna is so sweet, wonderful and merciful. So be HOPEFUL!!!

Posted : 01/07/2020 8:21 am
Sutapa
Illustrious Member Captain

Great writing - thank you! Please submit this to harikasharma@krishnatemple.com so it can be included in an upcoming School of Bhakti publication on the Srimad-Bhagavatam!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/07/2020 2:04 pm
Harika_
Estimable Member Captain

Personally i also love the story of Ajamila, I mean in the Bhagavatam what isn't there to love and go deeper into! Everything is a part and parcel of Krishna and truly treasurable! I absolutely adore how you have taken such a huge story and summarised it so well! Great work on that! Such a profound message that Krishna will always think of us even if we forget Him and Hope is all we Have!

Thank you for sharing your Inspiration Story Thiru maataji 😍  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/07/2020 12:33 pm

Join Us!

Recent Posts

Online Members

Share: