Don’t miss anything. Follow Us.

Ask questions, discuss, and get wiser

Welcome to the School of Bhakti Community!

Create an account, set your password, and you're good to go! The more you interact and discuss, your rating goes up - see if you can elevate yourself to an 'Illustrious member'!

Notifications
Clear all

Prayers for the departed soul

RSS

Topic starter

Hare Krishna 🙏

In the current time of the pandemic we have experienced the loss of many loved ones. We recite prayers and bhajans for several days following the death of the loved one, in order for their soul to be at peace. During the prayers it has been said the prayers to God/Krishna will surely have an impact on the onward spiritual journey of the departed soul and by doing these prayers the soul can actually go back to the spiritual world, back to Krishna. 

Is this correct? What effect do prayers after death have on the departed soul’s onward spiritual journey? Does it help the soul and if so, how? Do the prayers really help the departed soul be at peace and go back to God? 

1 Answer

Hare Krishna Deepa.

Yes the prayers we offer in devotion to Krishna helps our loved ones in their onward journey.

By engaging in devotional service we help our immediate family and ancestors. Here is a verse and purport from the Bhagavad-Gita which describes how the process of devotional service fulfills all other obligations. 

B.G. 9.16

ahaṁ kratur ahaṁ yajñaḥ
svadhāham aham auṣadham
mantro ’ham aham evājyam
aham agnir ahaṁ hutam

Synonyms

aham — I; kratuḥ — Vedic ritual; aham — I; yajñaḥ  smṛti sacrifice; svadhā — oblation; aham — I; aham — I; auṣadham— healing herb; mantraḥ — transcendental chant; aham — I; aham — I; eva — certainly; ājyam — melted butter; aham— I; agniḥ — fire; aham — I; hutam — offering.

Translation

But it is I who am the ritual, I the sacrifice, the offering to the ancestors, the healing herb, the transcendental chant. I am the butter and the fire and the offering.

Purport

The Vedic sacrifice known as Jyotiṣṭoma is also Kṛṣṇa, and He is also theMahā-yajñamentioned in thesmṛti.The oblations offered to the Pitṛloka or the sacrifice performed to please the Pitṛloka, considered as a kind of drug in the form of clarified butter, is also Kṛṣṇa. Themantraschanted in this connection are also Kṛṣṇa. And many other commodities made with milk products for offering in the sacrifices are also Kṛṣṇa. The fire is also Kṛṣṇa because fire is one of the five material elements and is therefore claimed as the separated energy of Kṛṣṇa. In other words, the Vedic sacrifices recommended in thekarma-kāṇḍadivision of theVedasare in total also Kṛṣṇa. Or, in other words, those who are engaged in rendering devotional service unto Kṛṣṇa are to be understood to have performed all the sacrifices recommended in theVedas.

Hare Krishna. Your servant, Bhakta David.

Join Us!

Recent Posts

Share: