Don’t miss anything. Follow Us.

Ask questions, discuss, and get wiser

Welcome to the School of Bhakti Community!

Create an account, set your password, and you're good to go! The more you interact and discuss, your rating goes up - see if you can elevate yourself to an 'Illustrious member'!

Notifications
Clear all

Never Trust a Diplomat or a Woman

6 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hare Krsna, i have just started reading the Krsna Book. 

I have nearly got to the end of the first chapter and am stuck at the point where Srila Prabhupada has quoted Chanakya Pandita ‘never put your trust in a diplomat or a woman’.

I searched and searched online for the meaning and purpose of this quote -  Please are you able to shed some light on this?

What does this mean, in what context is this said?

Thank you 🙏🏼

2 Answers

Hare Krishna, Jay. V. Prabhu. Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada. Srila Prabhupada elaborates on this point in the Bhagavad-Gita text 1.40. Here is the link. https://asitis.com/1/40.html.   Haribol. Your servant, Bhakta David.

antonella antonella 01/06/2022 5:08 pm

Hello David, I was expecting to read an answer not view a link to the question

Bhakta David Bhakta David 28/06/2022 11:58 am

Hare Krishna Antonella. Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada. I am sorry I cannot help you if you expected something different. Please take your time to try and understand what Srila Prabhupada has to say on this topic if you want an answer. Haribol. Your servant, Bhakta David.

Hare Krishna. I am sorry as I realize I did not take the time to fully elaborate on this statement, which is quite a sensitive one as it can be easily taken out of context.

I have also seen this sloka translated as: never trust a politician or a Woman.  First of all, a politician's position is that their livelihood relies on serving the people in general through their administrative role. And due to the politicians position they cannot be trusted because they are liable to make a decision which will please the people in general but may not be in their best interest factually. We can see this situation today when politicians have to canvas for votes and many times make promises which they cannot fulfil. For this reason, in the varnashrama system the administrative class are advised by the Brahmana’s who remain independent in regard that they are not financially reliant on the general populace and therefore they can speak and advise freely without being swayed by circumstances which affect their livelihoods. Therefore, it is the politician's duty to listen to the advice of the Brahmana’s.

And in regard to women. It is a fact that women have a natural faculty which allows them to be more emotionally receptive. This is a part of a woman’s motherly nature. And men are generally less emotionally receptive but function on a more logical basis in regard to their nature. For this reason, women are considered not as trustworthy because they can be easily swayed to make a decision on an emotional basis which can override their cognitive logical function.

This is not a verse which is meant to present women as inferior. In its proper context it is understood that men and women have different natures and therefore they have different roles which are best suited to that nature.

I hope this helped to clarify any misunderstandings. Your servant, Bhakta David.

Jay.V Jay.V Topic starter 07/07/2022 10:08 pm

Thank you Prabhuji, this makes sense. 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

Bhakta David Bhakta David 12/07/2022 1:49 pm

Hare Krishna. Thanks Prabhuji.🙏

Share: