Don’t miss anything. Follow Us.

Ask questions, discuss, and get wiser

Welcome to the School of Bhakti Community!

Create an account, set your password, and you're good to go! The more you interact and discuss, your rating goes up - see if you can elevate yourself to an 'Illustrious member'!

Notifications
Clear all

Cows Milk and Vedas  

RSS

Hare Krishna

I have a question that troubles me - I am new to ISKCON and know that faith is very important. I agree with every thing I have come across in the Vedas in that it is proved to be factual. Prime examples of this are:

- cow urine not being toxic and in fact being the opposite (used for cleaning etc)

- cow dung being similarly antiseptic unlike any other faeces

My limited understanding of cows milk is that it is toxic for human consumption (based on multiple studies in multiple countries). Why is this fundamental information not in the Vedas? What has changed from Satya Yuga to Kali (apart from the multiple pollutants found in most food sources).

Milk is fundamentally designed to raise a tiny calf from birth to childhood - even the cows do no ingest milk in later life. It is only created by cows when they are pregnant (or artificially impregnated, as in dairy production) and about to give birth, just like every other mammal.

I would be very grateful if anyone can provide any clarity on this.

Hare Krishna

Hare Krsna

2 Answers

Hare Krishna Diliph. https://iskconnews.org/longer-life-for-milk-drinkers-say-british-researchers,1352/ .If one looks at this article one may come to the conclusion that milk drinking is good for one’s health and leads to a longer life. As you mentioned at the start of your question, faith is very important. Scientists regularly have research showing to suggest something is good and then all too often other studies will say the exact opposite. Srila Prabhpada, September sixteen, nineteen seventy two, a lecture on the Srimad Bhagavatam:“These so-called scientists, they are simply wasting their time by so-called research work. There is nothing to be researched. Everything is there. Every knowledge is there. How to make your life perfect, that is also there. But they will not consult this knowledge. They will try to make a research and waste time and waste money, public money, and pass on as great scientist, philosopher, leaders, politician, and mislead people, without any factual knowledge.” If one has faith in the authority of scripture which comes from a pure source then they will have exact knowledge, rather than putting our faith in the research of materially conditioned living entities.   https://theharekrishnamovement.org/2016/11/11/the-four-defects-of-the-conditioned-soul/ . This verse and purport in the link gives a good explanation as to why we trust in the authority of the revealed scriptures.  (S.B. 4.18.5): A foolish person who manufactures his own ways and means through mental speculation and does not recognize the authority of the sages who lay down unimpeachable directions is simply unsuccessful again and again in his attempts.

I hope this perspective on the topic was satisfactory for you Diliph. Hare Krishna.

@bhakta-david

Hare Krishna David Prabhu
Thank you for your detailed explanation. I looked up the Professor and his department - they are sponsored by the pharmaceutical industry.

The studies they mention in the link provided mention the benefits of a protein found in cows milk called casein. This is exactly the protein that has been found to be detrimental to human health. It has also been shown to increase chances of stroke, heart-attacks and is a leading cause of inflammation and stiffness (which leads to blockages) of the arteries.

I have read many such studies and their directly measured effects on the human body. The studies I mention are peer-reviewed.

This leads me to think that in this age of Kali, if milk used to be beneficial food, it has now become toxic for human consumption - what to say of the horrific treatment of the milk givers and their off-spring.

Hare Krishna Diliph Prabhu. Thanks for your message. In regards to whether the scientists research is valid or not I was just making the point to not put our faith in modern science, rather than supporting it or rejecting it. Yes, it is definitely true that the milk currently consumed by the general population is not at the purest standard due to lack of cow protection. Cow's are treated inappropriately to provide for the general consumer. The only answer for this is to care for the cows and honour the milk which comes from them in a condition where they are free of suffering. https://sivaramaswami.media/what-vedas-say-about-himsa-milk   His Holiness Sivarama Swami here gives evidence on this matter from the scripture's. Haribol.

• Śrī Nanda-nandana quotes Ṛg-veda 10.37.17: „Milk forcibly derived from cows is poisonous and leads to many kinds of incurable diseases.”

Hare Krsna Prabhu - the link you provided is very eye-opening. All glories to Srila Prabhupada

Hare Krsna

@diliph Hare Krishna Prabhu. All glories to Srila Prabhupada. Yes it is certainly eye opening. Haribol.

Join Us!

Recent Posts

Online Members

No online members at the moment

Share: