Don’t miss anything. Follow Us.

Ask questions, discuss, and get wiser

Welcome to the School of Bhakti Community!

Create an account, set your password, and you're good to go! The more you interact and discuss, your rating goes up - see if you can elevate yourself to an 'Illustrious member'!

Notifications
Clear all

Jesus and Buddha  

RSS

I understand Jesus and Buddha are shaktyāvesha-avatāras, along with Nārada, the four Kumāras, Kapila, the latter 3 mentioned in the S. Bhagavatam. 
Why are the teachings of Jesus and Buddha not mentioned in the Bhagavatam? At least I've not come across them yet, nor seen any books in your shops. 
It makes sense that Buddha was providing knowledge to people who needed to 'take a step back' and focus on compassion, non-violence etc. But is there something afterwards - a Vedic script perhaps that says this is not the full story and so people will recognise that Buddha is actually Krishna?
The reason why I ask is that one of my teachers was a Zen monk, but he has now awoken up out of Buddhism and I was brought up as a Catholic, hence my interested in these two. 
Although now, my heart is full of love for Krishna....thank you

Topic Tags
1 Answer

Hare Krishna, Nuala. Yes some of these beings are Saktyavesha Avatars and some also come under the category of Lila Avatars. My realization on this is that Narada Muni, The Four Kumaras and Lord Kapila were all performing pastimes which were for people who had a more comprehensive understanding of Vedic culture and also whose pastimes are better suited for giving the specific message of the Srimad Bhagavatam. Lord Jesus Christ and Lord Buddha performed their pastimes for the purpose of helping to advance people in spiritual life who had very little spiritual culture in comparison to the ideal standard of Vedic culture. Lord Jesus thought the highest message which is to love god while Lord Buddha was to take away the existing wayward Vedic culture at the time and also to bewilder the atheists. To understand how the philosophical thought developed we have to look at the different personalities who established different teachings in India. https://iskconeducationalservices.org/HoH/further-information-and-teaching-resources-secondary/fact-sheets/the-historical-development-of-iskcon/ . Yes, what came afterwards was the life and teachings of Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu. He tied all the loose ends together in relation to the progression of dualism and monisn. He thought the philosophy: Achintya Beda Abeda – Simultaneous oneness and difference.  What is also significant is the Lords rediscovery of the text Brahma-Samhita.   https://www.holydham.com/sri-caitanya-mahaprabhu-discovers-brahma-samhita/ . This text establishes Lord Krishna’s supremacy and our relationship with him.

Lord Jesus’s teachings were outside the influence of these philosophies and therefore are not included in the progression.

In terms of spiritual aspirants from different backgrounds awakening to Krishna consciousness, I believe chapter ten, verse ten, from the Bhagavad-Gita is profound, as it explains that this awakening is due to sincere devotion. Translation: To those who are constantly devoted and worship Me with love, I give the understanding by which they can come to Me. https://asitis.com/10/10.html .

I hope this helped to clarify your query. If there are any comments or rectifications please share. Hare Krishna.

Join Us!

Recent Posts

Online Members

No online members at the moment

Share: