a
Well, you know - life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get. And you just found yourself a treasure. Come and join us for a course at the School of Bhakti and grab your free cookies and tea. What a way to illuminate your journey!
Don’t miss anything. Follow Us.

Ask questions, discuss, and get wiser

Welcome to the School of Bhakti Community!

Create an account, set your password, and you're good to go! The more you interact and discuss, your rating goes up - see if you can elevate yourself to an 'Illustrious member'!

Notifications
Clear all

Approaching texts like the Bhagavatam  

RSS

If a devotee is not academically inclined and doesn’t enjoy reading or attending classes how can they ever approach the depths of texts like the Srimad Bhagavatam?

Are there any specific approaches to reading the Bhagavatam?

4 Answers

@silpesh

I think His Grace Sutapa prabhuji gives a good 3 step analysis on how to approach any situation, have a read on The three steps of anything

@silpesh I've been reading Bhagavatam, I’m not academically inclined, but do enjoy reading books which sparks my curiosity and interests... so the good news is that Bhagavatam has many many topics, dimensions and subject matters which will enthuse anyone to read it.

There are chapters that are sometimes difficult to read but, I just carry on reading. I also read smaller books together as it can be sometimes difficult to read continuously.. currently I’m on canto 2 and also reading Bhakti Tirtha Maharaj’s books.

You must read Bhagavatam! it’s a fascinating world, once you get addicted you will not want to stop.

@hetal-vekaria thank you. My question was asked in consideration of someone else and how I can support them in reading.

I have just started reading bhagvatam. I am also reading the spiritual warrior books, Bhakti Tirtha Maharaj makes Prabhupada's teachings so accessible. I'm loving the books.

Hare Krishna

@Silpesh Aww I see.. well what I have done is.. I share what I think will spark an interest in the other person. Its good to share reflections on the Bhagavatam, so I have done this with a group of my friends and they have been surprised because they didn’t think such topics came up in Bhagavatam. They were also surprised how easily they understood some of the purports, Prabhupad has really made it so easy for us to grasp.

Yes I love Bhakti Tirtha Maharaj books too, which ones are you reading? Im reading Madhuriya Kadambini reflections vol 1.

@hetal-vekaria that's great idea about the refections on the bhagvatam to encourage others. I'm also doing Sutapa prabhu Bhagvatam Life class.

I'm currently reading spiritual warrior 2. What is the book you are reading about as I haven't heard of that title?

@silpesh, below is the description and link to find the book as it can be difficult to find. Another must read.. when you finish your current book. I found spiritual Warrior IV: Conquering the Enemies of the Mind really interesting to read. so many books so little time (ha ha)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reflections-Sacred-Teachings-II-Kadambini-ebook/dp/B005F9I3BO

The Bhakti Trilogy is one of the great works of Visvanatha Cakravarti and his first presentation is the Madhurya Kadambini. The word "kadambini" means a long bank of clouds that are showering madhurya, the sweetness of devotion. These clouds manifest over the environment to shower the madhurya and extinguish the blazing forest fire of material attraction and attachments. His Holiness Bhakti Tirtha Swami explores these verses as a way of reminding the reader how such mentors and their teachings, although ancient, are as relevant now as they were in the past. Let the madhurya, the sweetness of devotion, shower us all as we take shelter of Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura's unlimited mercy.

Enjoy!

Join Us!

Recent Posts

Online Members

No online members at the moment

Share: